Japanese knotweed (also known as Reynoutria Japonica) is a large species of herbaceous perennial plant of the knotweed and buckwheat family, Polygonaceae. Also commonly known as Asian knotweed, Japanese knotweed is native to Japan, China, and Korea, but has been prevalent in the UK since 1850 when Phillip von Siebold brought over a single female plant.
Since then, Japanese knotweed has caused dismay for countless homeowners across Europe and North America, as the plant is known for its rapid growth and ability to push through tarmac, concrete and drains – causing severe structural and financial damage to property.
A 2018 study by global infrastructure service firm AECOM and the University of Leeds found there’s “nothing to suggest that Japanese knotweed causes significant damage to buildings” however, co-author Dr Karen bacon of Leeds University stated that “[it] is capable of damaging built structures”.
This potential to damage buildings is still an issue amongst mortgages lenders that are cautious of the weed draining the property’s value. Even a minor knotweed infestation can knock thousands of pounds of the value of your home and could stop you from being able to sell it.
The government’s environmental agency states that “you must prevent Japanese knotweed on your land spreading”. Because of this, many Japanese knotweed experts recommend taking a proactive approach by contacting established professionals that can help you identify and remove your knotweed.
Experienced in all areas of Japanese knotweed identification, removal, and litigation, we are here to help you every step of the way. Call today to find out how we can help with your knotweed invasion – you could be able to recover costs even if you’ve already dealt with your knotweed problem.
Buying a house with a Japanese knotweed infestation means you are purchasing a property that requires years’ worth of work that could cost thousands of pounds. A Japanese knotweed infestation can cause the property’s value to fall by 10%. Unfortunately, some property sellers lie about Japanese knotweed, making it crucial to have a cautious approach when considering purchasing a property with knotweed present.
Japanese knotweed is found in nearly every 10 square kilometres of the UK. It can spread rapidly and can cause serious damage to the infrastructure of your home, growing through walls, drains and paving.
Even a minor knotweed infestation can knock thousands of pounds off the value of your home and could stop it from being sold altogether. We can help identify your Japanese knotweed problem so that you can mitigate potential financial losses, or claim compensation from the responsible party.
If Japanese knotweed spreads onto your property due to a negligent neighbour failing to control the plant on their land, you should be able to claim compensation against them. When purchasing property, the seller is required to inform the buyer if there is Japanese knotweed present, or if this is “not known”.
If we choose to take on your Japanese knotweed claim then we will do so on a No Win No Fee agreement basis. We pride ourselves on the expert speciality knowledge that we bring to the table when dealing with Japanese knotweed law. Whether we’re dealing with private landowners, landlords, organisations or tenants – we have a complete understanding of where responsibility lies and who is culpable.
Before we agree to take your case on, you’ll sign our agreement which lays out clearly what our responsibilities are as solicitors, and what you are entitled to as our client. We only ever take on claims that we are confident in winning, which is why we’re happy to offer our clients this agreement which often lifts a real weight off their mind. In simple terms, our agreement states that in the likely case that we win your case, we are entitled to 25% of any rewards you receive as our payment. You keep the remaining 75% of the compensation and are free to spend it as you wish.
We never take on a case that we don’t believe we can win, so in the unlikely event of us losing your case you will not have to part with any money. There are exceptions to this which include scenarios where you are found to have deliberately mislead us, where your pursuit of the claim is fraudulent, or when you withdraw from the process before it is finished. All of these stipulations are clearly stated in our agreement, which we are happy to talk you through.
Our expertise in the field, authoritative civil litigators and No Win No Fee agreement make us the sensible choice when looking for a Japanese knotweed solicitor to handle your claim. We can help you through every stage of the process, from identifying your infestation, to investigating its origin, to bringing a claim to those at fault. We offer peace of mind from the start, taking the pressure and hassle of dealing with a Japanese knotweed infestation off your hands and winning you compensation in conjunction with our No Win No Fee agreement.